Marathons, have you ever had the desire to run one? What about 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles)? I love running but had never had the desire to run one until recently.
Last Tuesday the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) had an informational meeting on their upcoming marathon (26.2 miles) that will be held on October 14th in San Francisco California; the Nike Women’s Marathon!
*side note* For those who don’t know much about the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, they are “the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services.” – LLS website
After going to this informational meeting I decided I want to run a marathon. (mind you there is work involved) I have to raise $3,200 in order to do the marathon. Raising this money will allow LLS to continue the research to cure cancer. 75% of the money I raise will go back to LLS, while the other 25% pay for my travels to California, along with the lodging.
*side note* Depending on where your destination is, your fundraising amount may differ.
Also, to prep for the marathon LLS has a something called Team In Training (TNT). TNT is “the largest and most successful endurance sports training program that’s helping beat cancer. With professional coaches, participants are not only physically motivated but personally challenged as well.” – LLS website
As of now I can run two miles by myself, but thanks to TNT, we will go running early every Saturday morning to train for the event. We will start off with one mile and work our way up, until its time to run in California. (I also have to run during the week as well, it’s not a Saturday only thing.)
I forgot to mention – once the women have finished the marathon, they will be greeted by a firefighter at the finish line with a Tiffany’s necklace for them. What a great reward for all their hard work and effort put to a great cause. Don’t you agree?
*Side note* LLS not only offer marathons, but they offer –half marathons, triathlons, hiking, obstacle racing and century rides.
I can not wait to start fundraising this summer, and prove to my friends/family, but most importantly that I can run a marathon.
If you or a friend are interested in participating in any of their events, you can find your chapter and get started today!